RT|SECS Stored Energy Control System
The RT|SECS application provides a flexible, multi-function application for easily controlling and managing the new generation of batteries and other emerging forms of Smart Grid storage.
Utility-scale storage has the potential to transform energy management. Batteries can help to integrate intermittent renewable energy onto the power grid, defer costly upgrades of transmission and distribution infrastructure, instantaneously change output levels and take advantage of gaps between peak and off-peak energy prices by storing energy when prices are low and releasing it when prices are high.
Harness the Power of a Virtual Power Plant
RT|SECS makes all of this and more possible with an innovative and highly flexible approach to stored energy control and management. The RT|SECS application allows each storage device on the grid to be configured into one or more virtual power plants (VPPs). Each VPP acts independently, producing or consuming power, and can be configured with its own automated control strategy. The software integrates all of the VPPs into a single control signal to the stored energy resource. This gives utilities and power generators an extraordinary degree of flexibility, control and responsiveness to optimize grid storage across a wide variety of uses.
Each VPP can easily be configured to run in one of multiple automated control modes, including:
- Schedule mode – allows the VPP to produce or consume power on a time-based schedule that is divided into intervals.
- Dynamic profile mode – enables the VPP to produce or consume power based on both a time-based schedule (a “profile”) and the value of an external real-time signal. This mode is typically used for renewable energy smoothing.
- Market operation modes – supports market operation, a set of modes that operate the VPP within the confines of the ISO Real-Time Market.
- Manual automatic generation control (ACG) Mode – enables ACG for the VPP to be enabled or disabled from an ACG control file. In ACG mode, the VPP also provides high and low operating limits that are sent to the ISO via the RT|RIG™ system.
- Automatic dispatch mode – the VPP receives parameters from the ISO ADS system. These parameters are sent electronically to the utility and made available to the VPP.
RT|SECS runs on standard, Windows*-based servers or hardened systems available from many manufacturers. It is an application of the RT Smart Grid Platform which powers the Smart Grid—from field device to substation to control center—and integrates seamlessly with all enterprise systems.
*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Contact us to find out more about RT|SECS.